What's Your Number?

February is Heart Health Month!
What's your (cholesterol) number?

Cholesterol isn't a bad thing, in fact, your body needs cholesterol. Your body produces about 75% of needed cholesterol in the liver and the other 25% comes from the food you eat- animal products.

There are two types of cholesterol "good" (HDL) and "bad" (LDL). Cholesterol only becomes a problem when you have too much of one or too little of the other. High cholesterol has no symptoms so the only way to know what your levels are is through a blood test.

What is the ideal level? Less than 200 for total cholesterol. (the total is found by adding the HDL number to the LDL number) What to think about:
  • The higher the HDL, the better- it should be 60 or higher
  • The lower the LDL, the better- it should be less than 70
What should you eat to balance your cholesterol?
  • dark colored fruits and vegetables
  • lean meats and poultry without skin
  • fish
  • fat-free and/or low-fat dairy products

Metabolic Medical Center is here to help you lose weight and be healthier. All of our programs support a heart healthy diet. Come in today and see how our weight loss programs can help you manage and prevent health risks.

content provided by the American Heart Association